Beginning 3D Game Programming

Today I'm moving further into Learning XNA 4.0 and reading a bit about 3D game programming. There's just a little bit to know: shaders, particle systems, modeling, effects...

While I'm interested in the subject, it doesn't strike me as entirely necessary to reach my goal of developing a simple tile-based RPG and deploying to Indie Arcade. As much as I'm enjoying the book, I'm going to switch gears for a bit and look for more information on tile systems, map generators, and the infrastructure necessary for tracking all the systems that go into an RPG: characters, enemies, items, equipment, stats, leveling, etc, etc, etc.

Still, 3D programming is an interesting topic and I'm anxious to learn more.

"Matrices are behind essentially everything you do in 3D graphics."- Aaron Reed

Enticing isn't it? He reduces it to the point that it all sounds so easy. Well let me tell you that it wasn't perfectly simple to programmatically generate this triangle as a primitive in a three dimensional space:


Entertaining none-the-less. And the hipsters like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment