Current Events

I'm reading through RPG Programming With XNA Game Studio 3.0 by James Perry today.  I'm hoping the book will give me some insights into the development of a 2D tile based engine. 

The book came onto my radar by way of GameDev.net (if you are new to programming games and haven't discovered this site yet, get to it!).  Mr. Perry is a constant presence on the XNA forums and his posts have been helpful in clarifying a few things for me.  It's always nice to see an author support his readers through the web.  He also had a role in developing the XNA framework for Microsoft, so he must know what he's talking about, right? 

The book begins with a lengthy history of the RPG genre in video gaming.  It took me back and we clearly have a shared love of a number of games. 

He talks about the motivations behind the development of XNA.  Here's the line that convinced me we were on the same page:


In essence, we wanted to lower the barrier to entry for game development and, to put it simply, bring back some of the "fun" of playing the roles of designer, artist, and programmer on your own game. 

I can get on board with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment