First Forays into XNA 4.0

I don't have experience with building a game from the ground up.  The XNA framework does a lot of the heavy lifting for you.  No need to create compilers, build up a library of your own, or worry about creating a game loop.  It's there for you and ready to go.  This must be a revelation to folks who have been doing this for years.  It's all a new hat to me, but it is still more intuitive than I expected. 

A few minutes of playing around and I had some simple sprites animating and reacting to collisions with the edge of the game window.  The video is choppy, but you get the idea.





After that, it was on to further animating the sprite itself.  I created a sprite sheet in Gimp and had him blinking and bobbing up and down in no time.  Some vector variables were added for speed and position.




The artifacts in these videos must have something to do with the Flash encoding.  I'll have to work on that.

So it's completely non-interactive and not a "game" by any traditional definition in the history of mankind, but it's a start.  I think I can have something going in a shorter time than Rome was built.

No comments:

Post a Comment